Zhan Ye, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Zhan Ye is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center. He serves as Associate Medical Director of KU Hospital Blood Bank and Medical Director of KU Cancer Center Laboratories (Westwood, Clinical Research Center, KUCC North and Lee’s Summit). Dr. Ye also serves as Attending Physician covering apheresis service at KU Hospitals.
Education and Training
- PhD, Microbiology, University of Kentucky
- MS, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine
- MD, Medical Degree, Zhengzhou University Medical College
- Clinical Fellowship, Transfusion Medicine, University of Pittsburg Medical Center, The Institute for Transfusion Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- Residency, Anatomical Pathology and Clinical Pathology, University of Kentucky, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Lexington, KY
- Other, Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, University of Kentucky, Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, Lexington, KY
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Missouri Medical License, Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts
- American Society for Apheresis, Member, 2020 - Present
- American Association of Blood Banks, Member, 2014 - Present
- American Medical Association, Member, 2012 - Present
- The College of American Pathology, Fellow, 2012 - Present
I am interested in clinical research in transfusion medicine and patient blood management. Two projects were finished in 2018-2019: clinical impact of activation status-based platelet allocation on platelet transfusion effectiveness in hematology-oncology patients and RBC alloimmunization risk analysis in multiple myeloma patients treated by Daratumumab. Our current project focuses on the treatment effects of convalescent plasma on coagulopathy in COVID19 patients.
- Millar, D., Hayes, C., Jones, J., Klapper, E., Kniep, J., Luu, H.., S., Noland, D.., K., Petitti, L., Poisson, J.., L., Spaepen, E., Ye, Z., Maurer-Spurej, E.. 2020. Comparison of the platelet activation status of single donor platelets obtained with two different cell separator technologies . Transfusion
- Yazer, M., Kutner, J., McCabe, J., O'Donghaile, D., Pendergrast, J., Treml, A., Wendel, S., Yan, M., Ye, Z., Yokoyama, A., Cohn, C.. 2019. An International Survey of Maximum Surgical Blood Ordering Schedule Creation and Compliance. ISBT Science Series. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/voxs.12487
- Menitove, J., Burns, C., Ye, Z., DeChristopher, P.. 2019. Red Cell Transfusion Therapy in Anemia
- Harris, C., T, Totten, M., Davenport, D., Ye, Z., O'Brien, J., Williams, D., Bernard, A., Boral, L.. 2018. Experience with uncrossmatched blood refrigerator in emergency department. Trauma Surgery Acute Care Open. https://tsaco.bmj.com/content/3/1/e000184
- Ye, Z., Yazer, M.., H., Triulzi, D.., J.. 2018. The red blood cell unit and ice configuration in portable coolers is important in maintaining acceptable storage air temperature. Transfusion Medicine, 28, 400-401