Apply for the Zimmerman Postdoctoral Fellowship, a two-year experience to create an individual career development plan.
The Zimmerman Postdoctoral Fellowship is designed to be a two-year experience with the second year’s contingency based on the fellow satisfying milestones of their first-year progress report. Early in their program, fellows will determine their strengths, weaknesses and training needs to create an individual career development plan (ICDP). The ICDP, along with input from the faculty mentor, will guide the individual training experience. Outcome metrics include publications, grants submitted/awarded and future professional appointments.
Postdoctoral fellows receive:
- $50,000 scholarship per semester ($100,000 annually divided over 2 semesters – this scholarship includes $2000 to be used for travel, pilot work, other scholarly endeavors).
- Completion of terminal research degree
- Ability to commit 100% effort to research and training activities
Step 1: Identify your School of Nursing Faculty mentor
One of the most important steps in applying is to identify a faculty research mentor. Please schedule a meeting with Dr. Polivka, Associate Dean for Research, to discuss potential faculty mentors, even if you have already identified a mentor.
Step 2: Complete the Application
- Personal Statement* should include:
- Your research focus and consistency of focus with at least one of the School of Nursing’s five research focus areas;
- mentor match;
- how the postdoctoral experience will assist in meeting your research career goals;
- type of anticipated support needed from your mentor and/or the School of Nursing;
- plans to submit for funding; and
- publication plans.
- *Personal statement should be no longer than two pages, double-spaced, one-inch margins, 11-point Arial or 12-point Times New Roman font.
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letters of support from:
- Dissertation chair
- KU School of Nursing faculty member indicating willingness to serve as your mentor and supporting your post-doctoral research plans
- Interview with Scholarship Selection Committee Members
Step 3: Review of Applications
- Applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Selection Committee comprised of the Ph.D. Program Director, Associate Dean for Research, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Chair of the School of Nursing Research Committee and Chair of the Ph.D. Advisory Council.
- Applicants will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Match with faculty research mentor
- Personal statement
- Letters of support
- Match with School of Nursing’s research focus areas
When the application is open, a link will be added here.
For additional information please contact:
Dr. Barbara Polivka
Associate Dean for Research
Recent Testimony from our Postdoctoral Zimmerman Scholar
"I am extremely honored to have been selected as the KU School of Nursing Zimmerman postdoctoral scholar. Under the direction of my mentor (Dr. Janet Pierce) I believe I will explore and discover new scientific developments related to post-COVID-19 conditions. During this two-year research experience, I will collaborate with Dr. Pierce and other scientists on a Department of Defense grant investigating the prevalence and symptoms of post-COVID-19 conditions in active-duty military personnel using the Defense Health Agency database. In addition, I will have the opportunity to publish and present our pilot data on mushroom supplements and reducing symptoms in patients with post-COVID-19 conditions. My research interests include genomics, physiology, data science, and precision health. During my postdoctoral training, I plan to continue to develop my skills as a nurse scientist collecting and analyzing data, disseminating findings, and applying for research funding." - Samantha Cintron, Zimmerman Scholar