Course Application Process for Non-degree-seeking Learners
Interested in updating your professional knowledge and skills in health informatics or nursing without pursuing a graduate degree? KU School of Nursing welcomes you to take specific courses.
We are forever learning. People frequently seek opportunities to continue learning for professional or personal development or to advance in their field.
At KU School of Nursing, our non-degree-seeking student option allows people like you to enroll in specific courses to gain additional learning one course at a time or to explore graduate-level education before fully committing to a degree program.
A non-degree-seeking student is someone who is not seeking a degree at KU or KU Medical Center. Non-degree-seeking students may later choose to pursue a degree if prerequisites for graduate admission are met. Up to 6 credits — including those taken as a KU Medical Center non-degree-seeking student — may be applied to that degree.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Prepare to Apply as a Non-Degree Seeking Student
First, choose the semester in which you wish to begin the course. All application materials must be received by:
- July 1 for the fall semester
- December 1 for the spring semester
- May 1 for the summer session.
Next, you should review the eligibility requirements. Applicants must:
- Have previously earned a bachelor’s degree or higher in any field.
- Meet the Technical Standards for Admission
- Meet the English Language Proficiency requirements
- All applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency through either the TOEFL or IELTS testing systems.
- The test must have been taken within two (2) years of the first semester of enrollment.
- Results must be provided directly to KU Medical Center by the testing service using ETS school code 6895.
- Photocopies of scores will not be accepted.
How to Apply
If you are a graduate student in another department at KU or KU Medical Center, you are not a non-degree-seeking student. Please contact your advisor if you wish to take a specific School of Nursing course as an elective for your degree.
Before enrolling in courses, a non-degree-seeking student who is not currently enrolled at KU or KU Medical Center must apply for admission to KU Medical Center as a non-degree-seeking student.
Submit your application and pay the non-refundable application fee of $75 online by the posted deadline listed above. The application-to-enrollment process takes at least three weeks.
- Transcripts: Submit one official copy of each transcript from every college and university that you have attended directly to KU Medical Center.
- If the institution provides electronic transcripts, please have them sent to KU Medical Center or to email@example.com.
- If the institution only provides hard copy transcripts, please have them mailed to:
KU School of Nursing
Mail Stop 2029 / 3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66160
- Complete an abbreviated application.
- Only demographic/personal information and transcripts are required for non-degree applicants.
- Under the Program Information tab, make the following selections:
- Academic Intention: “Graduate Non-Degree”
- Area of Interest: “School of Nursing”
- Academic Program: “Heath Informatics (Graduate Non-Degree)” or “Nursing (Graduate Non-Degree)” according to your interests
- Submit your non-refundable application fee of $75.
- Payment of the application fee will be requested when you click SUBMIT.
- Applicants can pay by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or electronic check. (U.S. banks only.)
- Electronic check payments may take 5-10 business days to clear, and your application will remain incomplete until that process is finished.
- Applications are not reviewed until all requested information and application fees have been received.
Non-degree-seeking course costs are the same as those for our degree programs. Visit the Registrar's Office for current Tuition and Fees information.
Questions? Please contact Deb Stratton, firstname.lastname@example.org.