Through nursing and academic awards, School of Nursing faculty are recognized for their dedication and outstanding teaching and research contributions.
Choose an award to view details and recipients:
The DAISY Award was founded by Mark and Bonnie Barnes, in memory of their son Patrick who died of ITP after a long illness. This award originated in the clinical setting with the intent to recognize excellence in nursing care and practice. Their intent was to ‘give back' to the nursing field because of the fine care Patrick received. In 2010, the Daisy Foundation expanded the award to include nursing faculty.
- 2022 Kristi L’Ecuyer, Colleen Paramesh, Nathan Mattson
- 2021 Deena Woodall, MSN, RN, Kristi L’Ecuyer, MSN, RN, Qiuhua Shen, Ph.D., APRN, RN
- 2020 Nate Mattson, MSN-NE, RN, Laura Klenke-Borgmann, MSN, RN, CEN, Cara Busenhart, Ph.D., CNM, APRN, FACNM
- 2019 Kathy Guilkey, MSN, RN and Cara Busenhart, Ph.D., CNM, APRN, FACNM and Ruth Penny, RN, BSN, CNRN
- 2018 Jessica Gay, MSN, RND and Quihua Shen, Ph.D., APRN, RN
- 2017 Elizabeth Young, MSN, RN, CNE and Carol Buller, DNP, APRN, FNP-C, GNP-C
- 2016 Heather Nelson-Brantley, Ph.D., RN, CCRN-K
The Karen L Miller (KLM) Visionary Leadership Award provides an award to a qualified School of Nursing faculty member who demonstrates visionary, innovative leadership related to teaching, research or practice that could include but is not limited to an interprofessional focus. This award is in recognition of the innovative, vision and leadership provided by Dean Karen L. Miller during her tenure as Dean of the School of Nursing.
- 2022 Laura Klenke-Borgmann
- 2021 Cara Busenhart, Ph.D., CNM, APRN, FACNM
- 2020 Kathy Fletcher, Ph.D., RN
- 2019 Sharon Kumm, MN, RN, CNE
- 2018 Breah Chambers, DNP, APRN, FNP-C
- 2017 Jerrihlyn L. McGee, DNP, RN, CNE
- 2016 David Martin, MN, RN
The MacArthur Award provides funding to a nurse researcher who is leading or co-leading an interdisciplinary or interprofessional team at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
- 2022 Jill Peltzer
- 2021 Kesa Herlihy, Ph.D., RN, CNE and Maryellen Potts, PhD
- 2020 Diane Mahoney, DNP, FNP-BC, WHNP-BC
- 2019 Heather Nelson-Brantley, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, CCRN-K
- 2018 Shin Hye Park, Ph.D., RN
- 2017 Jill Peltzer, Ph.D., APRN-CNS
Phyllis Keeney Lawrence was a 1990 graduate in the KU School of Nursing. Upon her death, her family established this award in her name to honor an outstanding faculty member in the School of Nursing. The award recognizes a faculty member who demonstrates a superior record of teaching performance, makes a significant contribution to curriculum development and utilizes innovative approaches in teaching.
- 2022 Delois Laverentz
- 2021 Heather Nelson-Brantley, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, CCRN-K
- 2020 Sharon Kumm, MN, MS, CNE
- 2019 Elizabeth Young, MSN, RN, CNE
- 2018 Nancy Barr, MS, RN
- 2017 Chito Belchez, MSN, RN-BC
- 2016 Kelli Kramer-Jackman, Ph.D., APRN, FNP, BC
The Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award is intended to recognize and reward demonstrated teaching ability of a clearly superlative nature. The award will be given to paid (non-volunteer) faculty who contribute to the university and its students through excellence and outstanding classroom teaching. Classroom teaching is defined in its broadest sense to include educational activities in various settings and to a variety of learners in the three schools and the graduate and undergraduate programs at the medical center.
- 2021 Heather Nelson-Brantley, Ph.D., RN
- 2020 Qiuhua Shen, Ph.D., APRN, RN
- 2018 Jill Peltzer, Ph.D., APRN-CNS
This Chancellor's Club Teaching Professorship award recognizes sustained excellence in teaching and is awarded only to persons who have demonstrated outstanding teaching competence over an extended period of years.
- 2021 Cynthia Teel, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2017 Karen Wambach, Ph.D., RN, IBCLC, FILCA, FAAN
The Glendon G. Cox Leadership Award honors a member of our academic medical community as a leader and recognizes contributions made in an extraordinary fashion and at a consistently high level over a span of many years. This award is faculty-initiated and recognizes our colleagues who have shown sustained leadership and excellence in their service to the University of Kansas.
2018 Cynthia Teel, Ph.D., RN, FAAN
The KUMC Alumni Association annually presents the Distinguished, Honorary and Early Career Achievement Awards during Alumni Reunion Weekend to a deserving alumnus of each school. These are the highest honors the KUMC Alumni Association bestows upon graduates of the KU Schools of Health Professions, Medicine and Nursing and those who have made outstanding contributions to the health care professions.
Early Career Achievement in Nursing Alumna,
- 2021 Samantha A. Johnson, BSN'15
- 2020 Kesa Herlihy, PhD'17, N'08, RN, CNE
- 2019 Qiuhua Shen, PhD'11, MSN'08, APRN
- 2018 Cara A. Busenhart, PhD'14, CNM
Honorary Nursing Alumna,
- 2021 Amy L. Garcia, DNP, RN, CENP
- 2020 Barbara C. Unell
- 2019 Karen A. Wambach, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2018 Noreen C. Thompson, APRN, PMHCNS-BC
Distinguished Nursing Alumna,
- 2021 Gaylene (Bouska) Altman, PhD, RN, MN, BSN'67, CNS
- 2020 Lynelle N.B. Pierce, MS, N'81, CCNS, FAAN
- 2019 Wanda Bonnel, PhD'90
- 2018 Moya Peterson, PhD'06, APRN, FNP-BC
Alumni Award recipients are listed on the Alumni Association's Alumni Award site.